Personalized jewelry is a sure-fire winning gift for Mom or Grandma…what woman wouldn’t love to have a bracelet, ring or necklace that features her loved one’s names and/or birthstones?
Buying personalized jewelry over the internet can be a bit daunting – here’s what you need to know when shopping for personalized jewelry for Mom or Grandma.
6 Points to Consider When Shopping for Personalized Mother’s Jewelry
1. How soon do you need the gift? The time required to create personalized jewelry varies greatly. It can be as short as just 1 or 2 days or can run up to about 4-6 weeks.
Each vendor has their ordering deadlines clearly posted on the website. Be sure to order well in advance of the date the gift is needed.
Don’t forget to factor in shipping time as well! Normal shipping can take up to 10 business days. Most vendors also offer express shipping, but it usually costs quite a bit.
2. Personalized jewelry is not returnable unless the vendor has made a mistake. Be sure to double check the spelling of the names that you’re using, especially if you’re ordering jewelry with names other than your own children’s.
For some reason, no one in my husband’s family can spell my youngest daughter’s name correctly. I’d hate for my mother-in-law to have a pendant with my daughter’s name spelled incorrectly!
3. Consider your budget. Costs on custom made pendants vary greatly. Prices start at under $50 and go up to over $500, depending on the style and the options you choose.
Pendants made of real gold are more expensive than sterling silver or gold-plated jewelry. Simulated birthstones are less expensive than genuine gemstones.
4. If you’re buying a necklace, how many charms do you want? Some women would prefer all the names on one charm. This is a great choice if you have more than 5 or so kids in your family, otherwise the necklace might be pretty heavy with all those charms!
Individual name charm pendants are very popular right now, especially with the younger mothers. If your family is still growing, you can always add a new charm when the next baby is born!
5. Consider the type of metal. Most women have a preference for either gold or silver in their accessories. A few pieces are available in rose gold, but they’re pretty hard to find.
If you’re buying this as a gift, just look at the other jewelry that the recipient wears to get an idea for her personal taste.
6. Think about the type of gemstones. If you’re ordering birthstones, you might need to decide between simulated or genuine birthstones. Genuine are much more expensive, and aren’t offered in as many designs as simulated birthstones.
You can also find mother’s jewelry that features diamonds rather than birthstones (some jewelry pieces feature both) – an elegant look that’s sure to impress.